AMARETTI


I love Amaretti biscuits. They go really well with a short black coffee or a macchiato. I usually buy them at the shop, but today I couldn't find any and needed them to make a pear pie. I decided to make my own from a recipe from my favourite Italian cookbook. It turned out (the first time ever!) that the cooking time was totally wrong and I almost burnt them! Still, they were very nice and will make them again. 

INGREDIENTS
125g almond meal
50g icing sugar
3 tsp plain flour
2 egg whites
75g caster sugar
1 tsp almond extract


METHOD:
Preheat oven to 160°C.
Sift the almond meal and icing sugar in a bowl. 


Whisk the egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form. Add the caster sugar a tablespoon at a time and beat continuously until you have a stiff shiny mixture. 

  

Add to the almond mixture together with the almond extract. Fold until just blended.


Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a 1cm plain nozzle and pipe 3cm-wide mounds, well spaced, onto a baking tray.


Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until they are light brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

  

Store in an airtight container. 

Makes 15.


They are beautiful with some coffee.

Comments